Published research output:
• Blackwood, S. (2021). Collaborative creation across borders and art forms: A director’s perspective on opera and internationalization. In U. Garde & J. R. Severn (Eds.), Theatre and Internationalization: Perspectives from Australia, Germany, and Beyond (pp. 88–105). London: Routledge.
• Blackwood, S. (2019, 30 May). Shifting the Opera Gaze. Limelight.
• Blackwood, S., Lim, L., Polias, P., & van Reyk, B. (2019, 13 May). Opera and the doing of women. ArtsHub Australia.
• Blackwood, S. (2019, 10 Sep). Hi-Viz: Leading by Example. Chamber Made.
Academic speaking and writing engagements include:
• Opera and Power, Monash Arts Music & Performance Research Seminar, 2022
• Telling Stories Performers(’) Present International Artistic Research Symposium, Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, Singapore 2019
• Theatre and Internationalization & Barrie Kosky: Past Present and Future,
The Department of International Studies: Languages and Cultures, Faculty of Arts,
Macquarie University, in co-operation with the Goethe-Institut 2019
• Through the Looking Glass – 41st MSA Conference, 2018
Musicology Society of Australia, Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts,
Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
Project Faust opera/ballet: A critical analysis of the auteur creation
Award Winner: Outstanding presentation and engagement with audience. Deeply engaging topic around creative practice work.
• Discovering Don Giovanni Opera Symposium, Sydney Conservatorium of Music, 2018
Me and [The] Don: It’s a personal thing.
• Opera Studies Day 2018, New Zealand School of Music, Te Kōkī, Victoria, University of Wellington
A critical analysis of the auteur creation of Project Faust opera/ballet
• Graduate Research Symposium Musicology Colloquium Series,
Sydney Conservatorium of Music, The University of Sydney 2018
• Best Practice in Artistic Research in Music Symposium,
Sydney Conservatorium of Music, The University of Sydney 2017
#voxpopera performance presentation of practice-based-research-in-action
Arts Hub commissioned features:
Is the role of the university changing and is it enough? 6 October 2022
What is the role of tertiary education in the arts, and how are universities and tertiary institutions reinventing themselves and realigning their values.
How do we stop losing artists from the sector? 15 September 2022
Arts leaders Zainab Syed, Emma Porteus and Dr Georgie McClean discuss the urgent matter of why artists and arts workers are leaving the arts sector.
Joining the dots: What the Albanese Government should do next for the arts 27 June 2022
Arts leaders Rhoda Roberts, Louise Bezzina, Lena Nahlous and Tea Uglow reflect on priority areas they’d like to see the Albanese Government address in the coming weeks and months.